Authors, including myself, appreciate honest and positive reviews for their books. You have probably told a friend about a movie that you enjoyed or a restaurant you just discovered. If you take the time to write a review on a book you liked, you are providing a gift to the writer.
Here are some ideas and ways to write a review. I will use my latest book, A Chance to Say Goodbye: Reflections on Losing a Parent as an example, but the principles can be applied to any book.
First, draft on paper or type on your computer your review. Give it a short title that captures the essence of the book.
Think about and then write some stand out points you gleaned from the book. What section was most valuable to you and why? Did you become inspired to take some type of action as a result of what you read? Did the book provoke emotion in you? Why might someone else enjoy or benefit from the book?
You will be asked to give it a star rating, 5 being the best on most platforms. Choose that rating when on the review site.
If possible, post the review on two or more sites/platforms in case it is lost, hidden or rejected on one for some reason.
Here are a few choices for my book as examples:
If you have never written a review on one of those platforms, you may have to establish a brief profile.
You do not have purchase on that platform to write a review. However, the platform might reject your review if they think it is overly biased from a friend. You can state that you bought the book at a live event, book signing, etc. Posting the review in more than one place might also ensure it gets posted to at least one. You may want to check back on the site to see if it appears.
Be sure to write reviews for more than one author. Spread the love! You will definitely be considered biased if you only write reviews for one person.
On Amazon, you will see need to scroll down the page until you see the other reviews. You should find a button that says, “Write a customer review”. Click on that and proceed to the end being sure you “submit” or save when finished.
Other ways you can support the author:
- Post a recommendation of the book on social media. Include the purchase link.
- Suggest the book to a book club or library.
- Include a brief mention on your website, blog or newsletter.
- Purchase a copy for a friend or pass your copy along to someone.
- Connect the author with someone who has a similar focus. Most authors love to support other authors. Professionals in related industries look for resources and speakers and often cross-promote. Together, we can help one another and facilitate success and further reach with just a few minutes of your time.
I thank you for reviews and thanks for supporting authors in general. It means a lot to us!